Contact: Emily Phelps | email@example.com
60% of all voters say they’re pro-choice, and a ballot measure could shift turnout in Dems’ favor
WASHINGTON – Today, national grassroots organization Indivisible and progressive think tank and polling firm Data For Progress released the results of their survey of Arizona voters, assessing how a proposed ballot measure protecting reproductive rights in the state would impact how likely voters are to vote in an election year.
The survey comes as Ohio voters rejected an undemocratic effort to change the state’s constitution, designed to make passing abortion protections harder.
This year, Indivisible is running Battleground: Arizona -- the first single-state effort of its kind for the national grassroots organization -- dedicated to shifting the political climate and building long-term power in the state.
The poll found:
- Arizona voters are firmly pro-choice and support Roe v. Wade: 60% of Arizona voters (+23) consider themselves pro-choice rather than pro-life, including 58% of independents (+21). 58% of Arizona voters (+25) think the Supreme Court was wrong to overturn Roe v. Wade, including 56% of independents (+23).
- The presence of an abortion measure on the ballot shifts vote likelihood in Democrats’ favor: After learning of the measure, Democrats were slightly more likely to say they were going to vote (+2%) with no corresponding bump in interest among Republicans, who were less likely to say they were going to vote (-7%) — resulting in a cumulative 9% impact on vote likelihood in Democrats' favor.
- For context: In 2020, Biden won Arizona with 49.4% to Trump’s 49.1%. In such a close swing state, any movement at the margins matters.
- The measure would energize key demographics: 35% of respondents who initially stated they were unlikely to vote (a group which skews younger and more Latino) said they were likely to vote after hearing about the measure.
- In the U.S. Senate race, Democrats (+62) and Independents (+13) said they were more likely to support a candidate who will eliminate the filibuster to codify Roe into federal law.
Full results can be found here.
If you want to learn about Indivisible’s work in Arizona, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions for Data For Progress about the poll results, please contact Press Secretary Abby Springs at email@example.com.
# # #
About Indivisible Action
Indivisible Action (PAC) channels grassroots energy into electing progressive candidates who will work towards an inclusive democracy that provides for the needs of all people. Indivisible Action provides tools, training and strategic guidance to local Indivisible groups as they flex their electoral power. Indivisible Action also makes its own endorsements of federal and gubernatorial candidates, grounded in endorsements made by local Indivisible activists.
About Data for Progress
Data for Progress is a progressive think tank and polling firm, which arms movements with data-driven tools to fight for a more equitable future. DFP provides polling, data-based messaging, and policy generation for the progressive movement, and advises campaigns and candidates with the tools they need to win. DFP polling is regularly cited by the New York Times, the Washington Post, and hundreds of other trusted news organizations.