Things to do before your event
- Know the purpose of the event
- Read up on your candidate! If time allows, make a one-page with position statements etc.
- Make sure to work with Indivisible National staff to come up with a texting goal (Individual vs. Group goals )
- Work with National to identify texting leads from 2020 texters or other Group Leaders with strong relationships to your group or your organizer
- Choose a date for text parties consulting staff and leads
- Send a recruitment email that includes the date(s), registration link to the event plus instructions for getting set-up with a TextOut account before the event
- Send a reminder email on the morning of the event
- Think of ways to keep people motivated during the event (optional)
- Find a couple of songs to play and the beginning of the party or during breaks that will inspire and energize people
- Have a theme that reflects the values of your candidate, gives good vibes for your district or state
- Invite guest speakers (not the candidate or their campaign)
- Have a game ready. This pre-made bingo card (it’s random for 30 participants) can be used or create your own. Confirm prizes with staff.
- Set an agenda
- Pick an icebreaker to help kick off the event
- Confirm party roles with Indivisible Staff:
- Host – Emcee
- Chat Moderator – Answers quick questions, note feedback
- Tech Lead – Share screens, mute/unmute, breakout rooms
- TextOut Trainer and Chat Moderator (Staff) – Facilitate training
- Texting Leads – model texting, create positive community, back-up Breakout Room support
- TextOut Staff & Moderator- Troubleshoot in Breakout Rooms AND answer chat questions from Texters, Back-up Chat Moderator, suggest at least 1 staff and moderator be on TextOut backend to review texting conversations, approve texting requests, and make sure people are added to program, etc.
- Everyone with a party role to arrive 60 minutes before the event
Hour before event
With the help of Texting Lead, train Texting Leads and have them beta test.
During the event
- Welcome everyone
- Review Norms and Expectations (see slides) – If needed, add some of your own
- Review agenda
- Share purpose of event with attendees
- Launch with an icebreaker and explain game, and prizes!
- Introduce the rest of the team helping out with the party
- Hand it over to the Trainer for TextOut training
- Hand it over to the Texting Lead to model texting in action
- During the text banking part of the event, add a motivational bit in the chat box every five minutes or so (Go team!, Thank everyone again, Get a Bingo update, Ask the texters to add positive conversations into the chat box)
- Wrap up the event, with a debrief either in chat or by coming off of mute
- Optional: Provide next steps or options for upcoming events
Questions? Email your organizer or the training team firstname.lastname@example.org